Sunday, June 06, 2010

No Man's Land

They had a room for men. It was narrow and dark, off to the side of the main dress shop.

A buck's head hung on one wall. It's hooves, too, were mounted, pointing up over the leather couch as if for coathooks.

Stacked oak casks formed another wall.

The TV was massive and off.

Women and wedding dresses filled the rest of the store. I felt lost in a cave of silk and taffeta.

"Aren't you excited?" the salesgirl said by way of greeting, and the search began.

I tried to be small. I studied pictures above the counter. The dresses were mostly voluminous. Having served their purpose, some would make excellent sofa covers.

A half dozen weddings were in the planning around me. From behind the next rack I heard, "Let's try it with the cups out."

I headed for the room of shadows and hides.


copyright 2010 J. O'Brien, all rights  reserved