Friday, July 14, 2023

I Want You To Tell Me

The Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula
(NASA/ESA/CSA/STScI via CNN)

Night awakens us

to another life.

The sky kicks over

its bucket of stars.


Finitude, earth,

a river into trees.

After relations it is good

to stare at the moon.


Sad humans,

we start grasping

at something we can't see

and stay that way.


Me? I'm just

sitting quietly,

part of an immense,

mutilated universe,


The dented metals of the sea,

raptors lying in a long sky,

too many divorces,

too many blood panels.


Matter, anti-matter. There's

still a lot unaccounted for.

But your leaning into me

was a sleeping bird.


How extraordinary

that other people even exist.

It is forever we seek

in each other.


The moon

puts its beak in my eye.

I want you to tell me

I won't be alone.




—A cento of lines from two of Dean Young's (1955-2022) seminal collections,

Elegy on a Toy Piano2005, University of Pittsburgh Press,

 and Fall Higher, 2011, Copper Canyon Press.