Thursday, March 30, 2023

Last Summer's Flowers



1.

Last summer's flowers on the sill,

desiccated and fragile—

the goldenrod hoary and gray,

the daisy bowed and petalbare.

Ah, but the wild sunflower,

wizened though it be,

is still insisting on yellow,

and the civilized zinnia

is still blushing mauve,

even when losing its head,

bless their calyxes.


2. 

This summer the survivors

of The Class of '63

will gather at a faux plantation

in Western Pennsylvania

for what the committee has dubbed

"Our Last Big Reunion,"

meaning only informal sit-arounds

from here on out for the last of us,

no business casual, no honey-glazed ham,

no peach cobbler, no party boat tours

of the sprawling, shallow lake

that now floods the fields and the woods

where the last glacier stopped,

and where we parked with our dates.


3.

Am I going ?

Perhaps.

I wonder if she'll be there, the girl

with the honey-colored ponytail

that stunned me in first grade.

I hear she uses a walker these days.

Another who long inhabited my dreams

will not be there, I'm told, now confined to a chair.

And what of the ghosts of dead teammates,

the rangy shortstop and the quick centerfielder ?

How many lifetimes in a life ?


4.

So, which am I ?

Certainly the zinnia,

tame and losing its head.

Maybe I'll drop a few pounds and appear

to see myself in the faces of the others,

those fine old children, to remember myself

in the thrill of youth, first loves

with limitless futures, and the ultimate

disillusions we've all come to know.

Or maybe I'll stay where I'm settled,

half a century in these mountains,

for good or for ill, watching

the robins yank worms from the yard,

wild daisy, wild sunflower, wild solidago,

all of us in the same blue vase.