Friday, March 10, 2023

As Winter and Spring Collide

Paxlovid and Simic


The robins have been back a week.

The snow turns into rain.

Buds thicken the woods,

A ruddy mist

Against rain-blackened trunks

Seen through the kitchen panes

In my fourth day of isolation,


Differing from my solitude

of the last ten years

only by the recommendation

of the Center for Disease Control

and the three big pills I swallow

morning and night for five days

under Emergency Use Authorization.


The wind picks up.

I read. I wind the pendulum clock.

I tell myself I'm feeling better.

The medallion swings behind etched glass,

The ratchet wheel releasing one tooth at a time,

Escapement and detent saying,

Love me, love me, love me, love me.


The cough has stopped.

The spring winds down.

The rain turns back to snow.