Thursday, May 27, 2021

Earth to Earth



    
I.

I used to think cremation was the way to go,

but of late the cool, wet ground appeals

(if one is clever enough to avoid the concrete),

save the air, and fertilize the soil to rise again

as Mayflowers in rain, to be nibbled by deer

and fall again to ground and yet another life

as maybe violets or skunk cabbage, almost

as thick in the cycle of things as if you'd never left.


II.

Tibetans call it bya gtor, "bird-scattered."

Wrap me in hides, and lash me to a platform

deep the woods, twenty-feet up, like a fallen

warrior of the plains, let my friends the ravens

and the vultures clean my bones, and not a word, please,

to the Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association.


III.

Whatever you do in my declining years,

don't put me in a home, unless it's adjacent

to a golf course where my pals and I can burst

out of hiding in the out-of-bounds weeds to scoop up

the bright new golf balls driven into the blind hollow

and sold by our slower buddies on the next tee.

Some of us were retailers, you see,

and, anyhow, God bless the American Way.