Sunday, December 19, 2010

People

The only human beings I had seen all week were the UPS driver, the mailman, and the snow plow operator. And them I would have missed had the dogs not announced their approach. Such is life on a dirt road in Upper Turkeyfoot. Such is tranquility.

The storm ended. The sun appeared. I built myself a neighbor for amusement.

Small wonder, then, that a venture from the mountain to the mall on the weekend before Christmas left me stunned. Too many people on the planet, I thought.

Then I spent the evening in the easy company of folks who had been friends for decades, through the making of careers and the raising of children, surprising each other now with the rising numbers of grandchildren. Ah, the happy comfort of shared histories. For the moment, I changed my mind.

Not enough like these, I thought.