Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Great and the Small

Some facts of this existence are difficult to grasp.

Perhaps it is because I have been living for a few days on a long sand bar,  seeking regeneration, an outcast by choice, and lack physical contact with the mainland.

Take today, for example. Today I learned there are probably three times as many stars in the universe than anyone knew.

I study a picture of galaxies from the Hubble telescope. Surely, in all of that, there exists something else like me and you, an intelligence, just as awed, stunned by wonder.

But in the ceaseless crashing of water and the whipping wind,  I can't hold it in my mind.

Better to focus on the close at hand. Today at a year-round Christmas shop, I discovered there exists such a thing as a Betty Boop Christmas tree.

Since the sublime is too much, I consider the ridiculous. It leaves me no less puzzled.