Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Way I Am

Good company


It was the smooth warm stone against my back

at the edge of the goldenrod field.

It was the cold spring that ran through violets

in the grapevined Pennsylania woods.

It was Polansky's barn with haydust

of a hundred years in slants of sunlight.

It was sitting hens that pecked my arm

when I gathered their warm eggs.

It was Polansky's only cow that chased me

when I crossed the daisyed pasture.

It was the squirt of milk against the pail

and turning out the way I am.

It was the shortcut through the aspens

to the swamp where turtles swam.

It was tadpoles squirming in my hands

when I dipped them deep in duckweed.

It was sunstruck heat-thick days

and turning out the way I am. 

It was escape from the small, tense house

to hear the quiet country notes

to vibrate to that distant pitch

and turning out the way I am,

turning out to greet you on this land.




—triggered by a pair of lines from John Ashbury's puzzling "The Chateau Hardware"