Monday, December 05, 2022

With Winter on Our Doorstep

December, 2005


The day is bright and cold

The field beautifully empty

As we move over newly frozen ground

Our darkest weeks approaching,


The longer light we all want

A full hemisphere away,

Tilting further still from the sun.

Our shortest day is coming.


But the next will be a moment longer,

And then the next another moment longer,

And on an on for half a year,

With the warmth of summer to follow.


So, take heart, dear friend,

With winter on our doorstep,

I tell myself spring will win again,

And saying so makes it nearer.


Elders in my life did their best

To teach me how to wait.

I conjure them in darker hours.

I still can hear my grandmother,


Her warm reassurances in old age

Inflected still with the lilt

Of her mother's Irish accent:

Patience brings roses.


It's true it won't be long

Until the field is filled with snow.

But have we not seen

Lavender light on the drifts?