Thursday, September 29, 2022

At the End of September



At the end of September

as the trees distinguish themselves

it is easier to imagine I know

what Rilke meant when he wrote

Beauty is the beginning of terror

nights in the 40s

the grass slowing down

the coming of winter

one sure thing in this life

sure as age follows youth

runaway time and the rest


I shut down the saw

and head for the house

sawdust in my vest pockets

the world gone suddenly quiet

pleased by the look of log ends

stacked in the woodshed

annual rings concentric

yes yes yes we were foolish

but let's call it love and still

I see you here a lifetime ago

a walnut bangs off the sheetmetal roof


Startles me back to the present

flocking robins on the wire

bronzed by sunset

solidago going hoary and bowing

shedding cold rain in the field

goldfinches losing their luster

the world growing darker

finches evenings the field and me

It is needful to have night in one's body

said Robinson Jeffers being a poet

and I say Welcome


At the end of September

Some want it darker.



—Click on the last line for a song by Leonard Cohen.