Thursday, June 16, 2022

Ride's End


 

Up the last hill

stretching the chain

then down into the hollow

where the night gathers

clicking up for the down

pressing the pedals for speed

into the gathering coolness

menthol against wet skin

fast over the run

that weaves through the pasture

speckled with buttercups

past fields sprouting corn and the last red barn

with its calico cats ducking into the weeds

silos limned in the glimmerdim.


Leaning then into the sunset

on the last bend

past mailboxes with their flags up

where the road turns to gravel

and coasting at last

into the green peace of the yard

the old farmhouse I've claimed as my own

empty now

but for me and the dog

slapping the porch with her tail

happy I made it home

wet and breathing and alive

and no place I'd rather be

for as long as there is.