Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Out the Window

The stars in their places

 

Orion strong as ever

hunter above the woods

high-jumping over the oaks

where he is supposed to be

the stars in their places

a comfort as I lean

out the open window

upstairs into the night

me with my thoughts

unable to sleep again

the heat from the house

rushing out around me

haunted by childhood

hunting for certainty

as if it exists


She escaped into our room

where we lay awake

blankets pulled tight

through the window we fled

me first as the oldest

then my brother then her

and left him to his rage

and his drunken slumber

and his eventual remorse

or what I took to be remorse

returning from the refuge 

of a neighbor's house

to find him brushing his teeth

getting ready for work

with no eye contact

and nothing to say


And nothing more

ever to be said

in childhood's memory

nothing of the fright

nothing of the shame

nothing of the betrayal

by one who should've loved us most

nothing but the brightness of blood

and the darkness of night

and the reassurance of Orion

rising from the woods

the leap in adulthood

the same as in childhood

even as the distances increase

farther away everlasting.