Sunday, June 20, 2021

The Poem That Doesn't Exist

Mansions of sunset, a dreamscape


Once I knew the difference

          between waking and dreaming,

a reader of planets and verse,

          I thought I knew what was real,

this poem for instance, but maybe

          it doesn't exist except in my dream,

          all of us dreaming our dreams.



And what of awakening,

          of awakening into a dream?

I know such transit,

          regaining consciousness into a nightmare,

a dream that my daughter

          had died in my arms,

          which continues.



Too easy now, the blur of the mind

          that seeks the invisible world

behind pillars of cloud in the glow of the west,

          each of us dreaming our dreams.

What heroes and heroines we are

          to get up every morning,

          to go to bed every night.