Friday, December 18, 2020

New Age Tidings

 

Hear it if you can


Easy to be down just now     these brief days

so I listen to the sea     because I can

I have the will     to call it up     to remember

the past so huge     the good the bad

I choose the good     and hear the sea

breaking breaking     on a flawless beach

at the edge of a continent     on the Earth

in the Solar System     near the center

of the Milky Way     in an endless universe

I have the will     I can


It's true     loss the human story

each of us     our tragedies

everything we love     we lose

once I thought     my pain unique

childhood terrors     a father's cruelty

the splattered wall     the bloody sheets

replaced too soon     my daughter's lightness

as I held her wasting frame     my awakening

in her room     to abject silence

I've come to know     no one escapes


There's no forgetting     and so

I make a choice     because I can

to hear the sea     I tell myself     buck up

who needs another chance     to keen

when I can hear the surf at will     and find

comfort in the waves     and in this fire     and wood to burn

and joy in strength     my legs    with woods to walk

comfort in the texts of friends     joy in family

eyes to see     a head to understand     a heart to know

I'm not alone    comfort and joy goddammit     comfort and joy.