Monday, June 15, 2020

Infinitives in Late Light


     

Then it's into the woods

in the cooling dusk,

to let the night close over me

in a dome of candlelight,

to hear the train in the valley

calling for rain,

to hear the flying squirrels

scuttering over the siding,

deer snuffing and stamping

somewhere beyond the cabin porch,


To read what i read there,

making my notes,

old wisdom from those

used to being alone,

alone in the dark,

daring to face their own lives,

daring to feel what they felt,

to think what they thought,

writing it down,

shaking off sadness with a shudder,


"Sorrow is a river

older than desire,"

that sort of thing,

then to blow out the candles,

one at a time,

smoke curling up into the rafters,

the dark in its orderly fashion

falling across the hills

as I find my way

back to the house.


I walk alone.

My head is full.