Monday, April 29, 2019

Burning Bright

Evening, 11 years later.


In Central Park

the shrouded carousel

sat silent and motionless

because it was April,

and she was gone.


Outside Roosevelt,

a few blocks away,

the magnolias were in bloom.

Heavy petals fell on stones,

and she was gone.


The living filled the streets,

New Yorkers moving fast

as New Yorkers do.

Taxis blew their horns,

and she was gone.


So much more I had to learn,

great cities of the world

she led me through,

London, Paris, and New York,

and she was gone.


She loved to show me

what she knew,

take me where I'd

never been to watch

my revelations with a grin,


I'd follow her to find myself

in Thompson's Square

where Ginsberg read,

or standing at Blake's grave,

or breathing the breath of the Seine.


I hesitate, it's hard to write...


She'd hold my collar

late at night when I'd come home

from evening work, pulling me close

without a word, under the stars

above her bed, not letting go.


Big dark eyes,

holding tight,

not letting go.







—In memory of Kelly Jean O'Brien, 12/13/1970 - 4/28/2008.