Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Woods Are Old Friends



I came to the woods

to rock on the cabin porch listening

to the wind new in the leafing trees

and look through green lace

at white clouds sailing on blue sky.


An inchworm repelled

from the roof to alight on my coat

and measure my sleeve.

A seed from a dandelion

parachuted onto my boot.

Squirrels had gnawed off the edge

of the arms of my great grandmother's chair,

a sturdy mission oak i had painted

Scout blue forty years ago

with leftover enamel

when i patched the old International

and my children ran happy

and poor through the oatfield

with the sun in their hair.


I tell you all this

because i got what i came for

and it no longer hurt me

if an old love had turned venal and mean.

The small things were best,

like the fat Junebug

banging its head on the screen.