Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The Druid Spells



The day is bright as metal and the sun

is a blade through the wind. From the top

of the field I'm watching clouds coming fast

over Laurel Mountain. Everything's specific

in this light – the violet shoulder of Sugarloaf

in the southern horizon, the silver roofs of barns

folded into the hills, the hard-edged shadow

of my knuckles on the page. And I'm listening

to the long sorceries of sound, the noises

of afternoon - the dog yipping and whining

at a knot of garter snakes newly-emerged

and flat-headed with fright, the rattle and thump

of the UPS van raising yellow dust, and as always

the occasional gunfire.


The wind shifts at the back of my neck,

a peeper peeps in the glittering pond,

a thick twist of pine smoke from a neighbor's fire

changes course and crosses the road. I think I hear

a woman sighing. These are the Druid spells –

just for one day, to forget everything.

The snakes lick the light and taste dog.

A man in his garage opens with his thumbnail

boxes stuffed with packets of air from China.

I'm telling you, it's a strange world.