Monday, November 24, 2014

Bike Ride with Painted Stallion

We galloped until dark.


I rode under geese high and loud over the sheared fields

at right angles to my speed and the sunset

over the winding macadam and into the wind

a piebald horse fierce with youth and confinement

raced across the meadow to gallop beside me

and we gloried in the going the ground

shaking on the other side of the wire

his thick mane blowing and his forelock tossing

and his bright hooves pounding

and his big eye rolling and my tires singing

both of us turned out for a run

both of us wild with the wind in our mouths

determined to make the most of the sun on our backs

the colt free for a day from its paddock

me free for a day from the present

and we paced each other as long as we could

i felt the burn in my thighs and tears blew across my temples

until the woods held him back and the road turned up the hill

and i stopped at the top breathing hard and i went back.