Sunday, March 21, 2010

Emergence into Festival





A ride to Meyersdale for the Pennsylvania Maple Festival is a spring rite.

Conducted by the citizens of this quiet mountain town along the Great Allegheny Passage near the Maryland border for four generations, it starts gently and picks up steam, reaching a full boil by the second weekend.

Folks are happy to leave their hibernaculums and stand blinking in the sunshine on the flattened grass.

I walked around doing a little blinking myself, ate a stack of pancakes sweetened with the local product, and drove back over the mountain to tend to my own operation. In the process I learned that maple water should be boiled to a temperature of 219 degrees to make it syrup that won't spoil. Either that or to a weight of 11 pounds/gallon.

I tap a few trees every March, using a 3/8" bit (at a slight upward angle) and pushing in a spile cut from an elderberry bush with the pith pushed out. I also learned that the tree heals itself within six weeks after you pull out the spile.

And I learned that I could have picked up a handful of walnuts that the red squirrels hadn't plucked from the yard, entered them on a picnic plate, and maybe won second prize.

If you like Americana, old-time music, and maple syrup, visit. You'll talk about it all week.

Click on any of the pictures for a little better view.

copyright 2010 by J. O'Brien, all rights reserved